They’re in every American city and city – grandiose movie palaces, constructed through the heyday of the entertainment industry, that now stand abandoned, empty, decaying, or repurposed.
Photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre have long been fascinated with these early Twentieth-century relics. From 2005 they criss-crossed America to capture them on camera, eventually collating their shots into an enchanting latest book titled Movie Theaters, published by Prestel.
The publisher says: ‘In lots of of lushly colored images, they’ve captured the wealthy architectural diversity of the theaters’ exteriors, from neo-Renaissance to neo-Gothic, art nouveau to Bauhaus, and neo-Byzantine to Jugendstil. They’ve also stepped inside to capture the commonalities of a dying culture – crumbling plaster, rows of broken crushed-velvet seats, peeling paint, defunct equipment and abandoned concession stands.’
Highlights among the many spellbinding images include a shot of a grand theater-turned-gymnasium in Brooklyn, a Nineteen Twenties theater in Recent Jersey that ended up as a bus depot and a former theater in Texas that is now a gun store. There’s also a poignant shot of a dilapidated first-run movie show in California that used to host stars comparable to Shirley Temple and Marilyn Monroe.
Within the book’s introduction, Marchand and Meffre write about how movie show interiors were designed by the foremost studios on the time to ‘charm the hundreds of thousands of spectators and create the psychological conditions of dream and travel’. They note that these buildings were inspired by the ‘seductive, eclectic decors’ of the ‘great European opera houses and theaters’.
The duo also highlight what lengths they went to to get the photos, with ‘one long exposure after one other’ and ‘often equipped with a halogen spot connected to a automobile battery to provide the lighting’. In addition they note that that they had to realize permission before accessing the buildings. Scroll all the way down to see MailOnline Travel’s pick of the tome’s pictures…
BROOKLYN PARAMOUNT THEATER, BROOKLYN, NEW YORK: This image, captured in 2008, shows a former movie show that was converted by Long Island University to be used as a gymnasium. The unique constructing, designed by architects Rapp and Rapp, opened in 1928 as a 4,201-seat venue for the entertainment company Paramount Inc. Touching on its history, the authors say: ‘It hosted performers comparable to Buddy Rogers, Eddie Cantor, George Jessel, Mae West, Rudy Vallee, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Miles Davis, Liberace, and Frank Sinatra, facing stiff competition from the various surrounding theaters. It closed within the early Thirties and reopened to indicate only movies. Within the Fifties, it hosted concert events showcasing artists comparable to Fats Domino, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis. It finally closed in 1962 with a sparse audience of only 300 for the last screening.’ Describing stepping foot into the theater-turned-gymnasium, the authors say that they were greeted by a ‘glossy basketball court in a monumental neo-Baroque’ setting. The constructing is awaiting restoration as a performing arts venue, the book adds
STATE THEATER, WEST ORANGE, NEW JERSEY: The photographers say that this now defunct movie show opened within the Nineteen Twenties and once held 981 seats. ‘It closed probably within the Nineteen Sixties and was later converted right into a bus depot for a transportation and bus company. It was gutted in 2013,’ they write. The above image was taken before it was gutted, in 2009
MESEROLE THEATER, BROOKLYN, NEW YORK: The image above of the [now-demolished] Meserole Theater was taken in 2016 when it operated as a Rite Aid drugstore. Designed by Italian American architect Eugene De Rosa who designed over 40 theaters in Recent York, the 1,978-seat venue opened in 1921, the authors reveal. Detailing the venue’s history, they write: ‘It showed first-run movies and was successively operated by the Small & Strausburg circuit, Fox, Randforce, and at last by United Artists, before closing in 1978. It was then home to a roller-skating rink, the Greenpoint Roller Palace, until 1986, which was succeeded by the discount stores Liquidators Arena and Odd Lot, the pharmacy chains Genovese, Eckard Drugs, and, from the mid-Nineties, Rite Aid, which vacated the constructing in 2020’
ROBINS THEATER, WARREN, OHIO: This photo, taken in 2015, shows the projection booth contained in the disused 1,500-seat Robins Theater. The venue opened in 1923, the photographers reveal, and it was designed by architects I J Goldston and Detroit-based C Howard Crane, who ‘designed some 100 theaters during his profession’. They proceed: ‘It was operated by The Robins Theatre Enterprises Co., an area company founded by Daniel Robins, who was an early partner of Albert Warner of Warner Bros. It closed in 1974 and was vacant until 2018, when it was renovated and reopened as a multipurpose venue in 2020’
RKO KEITH’S FLUSHING THEATER, QUEENS, NEW YORK: This photograph of the previous 2,974-seat movie show was taken in 2007, however the constructing has since been demolished. The constructing opened in 1928 and was named after the Radio-Keith-Orpheum Corporation, a movie production and distribution company, the book reveals. Shedding light on its fascinating history, the authors say: ‘It hosted artists comparable to Bob Hope, Jack Benny, the Marx Brothers, Judy Garland, Mae West, Milton Berle, Jimmy Durante, and Jerry Lewis. In 1976, it was divided into three screens. In 1982, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and in 1984 the ticket lobby and grand foyer were designated by the Recent York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. From 2004, the theater modified ownership again and again until it was sold in 2016 to a Chinese developer.’ Detailing its demolition, they proceed: ‘In 2019, the auditorium was demolished to make way for a condominium tower. The plasterwork of the lobby had been previously cut and stored in a warehouse and is speculated to be reinstalled in the brand new constructing’
FOX THEATER, INGLEWOOD, CALIFORNIA: This movie show (pictured in 2008) opened as a 1,008-seat cinema in 1949 for Fox West Coast Theatres, a cinema chain began by Fox Film Corporation founder William Fox, the book reveals. Discussing its design, the book reveals: ‘The theater was built on request of Lee Charles Skouras, president of Fox West Coast Theatres, in a method also known as the Skouras style, with typical neo-Baroque decor as a substitute of the more modernist streamlined look typical of the late Forties.’ It says that ‘prefabricated elements comparable to mouldings and low-cost aluminium sheeting were used to create ornamentation in a mass-produced way at Fox’s assembly plant, thus allowing greater economies of scale’. The authors proceed: ‘It was equipped with assistance for the hearing impaired, automatic opening lobby doors, and a soundproof “crying room” for moms with babies. It was a first-run movie show and served as a essential site for Hollywood premieres through the Fifties, hosting stars comparable to Shirley Temple, Marilyn Monroe, and the Three Stooges. It will definitely switched to exploitation and Spanish-language movies until it closed in 1988. In 2012, the constructing was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is currently vacant’
LONG’S THEATRE, PASADENA, TEXAS: This constructing, now operating as a gun store, was opened as a movie show in 1946 as a part of the ‘urban development of south Texas in reference to the booming petroleum industry’. The authors add that within the Nineteen Sixties, the development of an elevated highway ‘accelerated the decline of the downtown industrial district [and] the theater closed in 1962’. The authors reveal: ‘The auditorium was gutted and converted right into a shooting range, while the lobby is used as a reception desk.’ The above image was captured in 2017
METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE, PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA: This 3,482-seat theater (photographed in 2012) opened in 1908 because the Philadelphia Opera House, the book reveals, having been built for opera impresario Oscar Hammerstein. It was renamed the Met in 1910 when it was sold to the Metropolitan Opera of Recent York City and in the next a long time had quite a lot of purposes, the photographers reveal, including hosting basketball and wrestling matches – and balls. In 1954 it became a church and sometimes hosted the Philadelphia Orchestra for recordings. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 but by the late Nineties was abandoned, which suited film director Terry Gilliam, who shot a scene within the decaying auditorium for his movie 12 Monkeys, we learn. Today it is a live music venue, having been reborn because of a $45million [£37million] renovation
PARAMOUNT THEATER, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY: This movie show (shown in 2011) opened in 1886 as H C Miner’s Newark Theatre for theater impresario Henry Clay Miner, the book reveals. In 1916 it was bought by theater owner Edward Spiegel and transformed by Scottish-born American architect Thomas W Lamb right into a movie show with a capability of 1,996 seats. Of Lamb’s work, the authors say: ‘Through the 1910s and Nineteen Twenties, he became one among the leading architects of the fast-growing movie show industry and particularly people who were large and opulently decorated, often known as movie palaces. He planned or redesigned greater than 170 theaters throughout his profession, in the USA, Canada, but additionally India.’ Expanding on the history of the Paramount Theater, the book says: ‘In 1932, it was taken over by the Paramount-Publix chain, renamed after it, and commenced showing movies. It closed in 1986 after insurance rates increased 500 per cent, which also caused the closure of the nearby Adams Theatre.’ The book adds: ‘The lobby has been used for retail while the auditorium has been vacant. Through the winter of 2020 to 2021, the auditorium roof collapsed from the load of the snow’
SPOONER THEATER, BRONX, NEW YORK: Insulation cladding and pipes cover the auditorium of the Spooner Theater on this 2009 photograph. The book explains that the constructing ‘originally opened because the Spooner Theatre in 1910 for actress and feminist Cecil Spooner, who led the Spooner Stock Company’. It continues: ‘She was notably arrested once for staging what was characterised as a “vice” play. In 1913, it was taken over by Loew’s Theatre Company and renamed Loew’s Spooner Theatre, extending its capability [to 1,807 seats]. It operated as a second-run movie house until it closed within the late Nineteen Sixties, early Seventies.’ Touching on its more moderen history, the authors add: ‘It has been subsequently reused as a furniture store and various retail stores. The auditorium was gutted within the mid-2010s’
Movie Theaters by Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre, published by Prestel, is offered now from all major booksellers (RRP $80/£60 www.prestel.com)