2.9 C
New York

Josh Duggar Is Sentenced to 12 Years for Downloading Images of Child Sex Abuse

Published:

Josh Duggar, a onetime star of the TLC reality show “19 Kids and Counting,” a few large family guided by conservative Christian values, was sentenced to greater than 12 years in prison on Wednesday for downloading child sexual abuse imagery.

The sentencing, in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville, Ark., concluded Mr. Duggar’s downfall from the eldest sibling on one of the popular cable reality shows to a convicted criminal, capping a reversal that began along with his arrest in April 2021.

Prosecutors said that, in May 2019, Mr. Duggar installed a password-protected partition on the hard disk drive of his desktop computer at his used-car lot in Springdale, Ark., to avoid software that detects explicit images of youngsters.

Mr. Duggar, 34, who’s married with seven children, downloaded around 600 photographs and 7 videos of violent child sexual abuse, in accordance with a sentencing memorandum filed this month by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Arkansas.

He was caught after a Little Rock police detective found an I.P. address that had been sharing child sexual abuse material, in accordance with a memorandum opinion filed by Judge Timothy L. Brooks in August 2021. The detective sent the data to an agent from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security who later tracked the I.P. address to Mr. Duggar, Judge Brooks wrote.

A jury deliberated for 2 days before finding Mr. Duggar guilty in December of 1 count of receiving child pornography and one count of possessing child pornography. Each charge carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.

Prosecutors had asked for a 20-year sentence while Mr. Duggar’s lawyers asked for five years. He was sentenced to 12 years and 7 months.

On Wednesday, Judge Brooks vacated the charge of kid pornography possession, one in every of Mr. Duggar’s lawyers, Justin K. Gelfand, said.

Mr. Gelfand added that he and the remaining of Mr. Duggar’s defense team were grateful that the judge had dismissed the charge. “We sit up for continuing the fight on appeal,” he said in an announcement after the sentencing.

The U.S. attorney’s office didn’t immediately reply to emails or phone calls on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Judge Brooks denied a request that Mr. Duggar’s lawyers filed in January asking that he be acquitted or receive a latest trial. The lawyers argued that, amongst other things, the prosecutors had not disclosed certain evidence in a timely manner.

From 2008 to 2015, Mr. Duggar and his siblings starred with their parents in “19 Kids and Counting,” a reality show following the family’s life in Arkansas. TLC canceled the show after In Touch Weekly reported on a 2006 police report that said Mr. Duggar had molested several girls when he was an adolescent.

Representatives for Discovery, the corporate that owns TLC, didn’t immediately return emails or phone calls on Wednesday.

Mr. Duggar was not charged in reference to those earlier allegations, for which the statute of limitations had passed. Mr. Duggar’s parents told Fox News in 2015 that 4 of the five girls he molested were his sisters.

His parents said they’d sent him to counseling and had him check with the police.

He apologized on the time in an announcement to People magazine, saying, “As a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I’m extremely sorry.”

Mr. Duggar also resigned from his position because the director of the lobbying arm of the conservative Family Research Council.

sportinbits@gmail.com
sportinbits@gmail.comhttps://sportinbits.com
Get the latest Sports Updates (Soccer, NBA, NFL, Hockey, Racing, etc.) and Breaking News From the United States, United Kingdom, and all around the world.

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img