No, he’s not Ben Franklin — neither is he Thor.
A UK man was rushed to the emergency room last Monday after he was struck by lightning while playing video games in his front room.
Aiden Rowan was “happily playing” video games on his PlayStation around 10:30 p.m. when he heard a loud crack followed by a “heavy jolting sensation.”
“So, I’m absolutely not one for sympathy posts, I needed to share this due to how insane it’s,” gamer and cosplayer Rowan, 33, wrote to his 13,900 on Instagram followers. “[There was] a loud bang and … 5 hours on the hospital confirmed that I used to be STRUCK BY LIGHTNING through the open window! Never going to play cute cat games during a thunderstorm again. I’m positive, just very sore, hell of a headache and burn stripes down my arm.”
Mockingly, when he was struck, he was playing a game called “Stray” where you control a stray cat who’s lost — in a thunderstorm.
“It took a few minute to come back back to my senses, I felt very, very confused,” Rowan told Metro. “I went upstairs and asked my husband for a wet towel as I didn’t know what had happened but my arm was burning.”
Lighting strikes some 25 million times a 12 months within the US, in accordance with the National Weather Service, and kills a mean of 47 people annually. Media Drum World via ZUMA Press
33-year-old Aiden Rowan was playing video games in his front room when he was struck by lighting.Instagram/stormstruckcosplay
Rowan’s shocked — no pun intended — husband Aaron immediately raced him to the hospital.
“We got to the reception and Aaron said something had happened and it can have been a lightning strike and everybody turned to have a look at me,” Rowan said. “I used to be rushed through to an assessment room they usually said it does appear like it was a lightning strike. Nine doctors from different departments got here to have a look at me and I used to be placed on a heart monitor and had some blood tests.”
Rowan’s doctors consider that the lightning bounced off the water and thru the window because of the bottom being too hard from the heatwave the UK has been experiencing recently.
“We just couldn’t really process it on the time,” Rowan said. After just a few days it began to mentally affect me, realizing that I could have died.”
Rowan luckily managed to flee serious injury, but was left with scars on his left arm and a small burn on his right hand. Instagram/stormstruckcosplay
Nonetheless, he eventually managed to stay unscathed save for just a few cuts on his left arm and a small burn on his right hand.
Rowan’s friends, nonetheless, have managed to seek out a positive spin to the entire ordeal.
“My friends were very concerned, especially in the primary few days, but once people realized I used to be OK there have been quite just a few jokes about Thor,” he joked. “That’s the last time I play a cute cat game during a thunderstorm, I believe!”
People being struck by lighting might look like a freak accident — nevertheless it’s almost grow to be a disturbing trend of late. Three people’s deaths were caught on camera during a fatal lightning strike near the White House in August. A fourth victim was struck down but eventually lived, crediting quick-thinking Secret Service agents and her Dr. Martens boots for her survival.
Lighting strikes some 25 million times a 12 months within the US, in accordance with the National Weather Service, and kills a mean of 47 people annually.
“Although most lightning occurs in the summertime, people will be struck at any time of 12 months,” in accordance with the NWS.
Meanwhile, “most lightning casualties occur at the start of an approaching storm, a big variety of lightning deaths occur after the thunderstorm has passed,” the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported.
“If thunder is heard — then the storm is close enough for a lightning strike.”