15 C
New York

Wimbledon lose points as Federer plans return and Djokovic and Nadal lead group of death | Tennis | Sport

Published:

While it’s the French Open starting on Sunday, Wimbledon has been the Grand Slam hitting headlines after the ATP and WTA officially removed all rating points on offer at The Championships in response to Wimbledon’s ban on Russian and Belarusian players.

However the likes of former champions Nadal and Djokovic have their sights firmly set on the French Open, with the world No 1 hoping to defend his title while the Spaniard is able to test himself after suffering an injury scare in Rome last week. However the pair have been drawn in the identical quarter, with the opposite favourite for the title – Carlos Alcaraz – lurking in the identical half.

It was an unsuccessful comeback for Daniil Medvedev after undergoing hernia surgery as he lost his first match back in Geneva, while there was excellent news for Roger Federer as he continues to construct back up ahead of his return on the Laver Cup. And Emma Raducanu shut down criticism of her latest coaching move ahead of her French Open debut.

Express Sport takes a have a look at all of the largest headlines from on and off court over the past week.

DON’T MISS: Nick Kyrgios getting married ‘very soon’ as he teases engagement to girlfriend with tattoo

Wimbledon stripped of rating points as ATP and WTA hit out over Russia ban

Following Wimbledon’s decision to ban all Russian and Belarusian players from The Championships this yr, the ATP and WTA officially announced their decision to remove all rating points on offer on the tournament as a sanction in response to the ban. The tours had been in talks over removing rating points for several weeks and confirmed the news on Friday.

“The flexibility for players of any nationality to enter tournaments based on merit, and without discrimination, is prime to our Tour. The choice by Wimbledon to ban Russian and Belarusian players from competing within the UK this summer undermines this principle and the integrity of the ATP Rating system,” the ATP said in a press release.

But several players have already spoken out against the removal of points, with many claiming the ATP and WTA player councils never consulted their colleagues or listened to them. The likes of former US Open champion Bianca Andreescu admitted players were left feeling “powerless” in the choice.

Nadal and Djokovic lead group of death in French Open draw

Ahead of the French Open, Nadal, Djokovic and Alcaraz have been at the highest of the list of bookies’ favourites for weeks, trading the highest three spots amongst themselves. And they’re going to now must battle it out between each other for the title, all being drawn in the highest half of the attract Paris.

Djokovic and Nadal are in the identical quarter, meaning they will only meet as early because the quarter-finals, while Alcaraz and three-time clay Masters 1000 title winner Alexander Zverev are in the opposite quarter of the identical half. The world No 1 has played coy on his potential last-eight clash, making only one comment on his potential lefty opponent in his pre-tournament press conference as he said: “I’ve trained mostly with righties and I’ll play lefties, so yes, that is difficult.”

Federer gives fresh injury update with Laver Cup comeback on

There have been several updates on Federer’s progress following his third knee surgery last August. The 40-year-old has not played since Wimbledon last yr and is plotting a comeback on the Laver Cup in September, now looking all set to be ready in time for the team tournament being held in London’s O2 Arena, and he could even be back at Wimbledon come next summer.

“He’s exactly where he desires to be but unfortunately it takes time. He’s going to play Laver Cup and Swiss Indoors,” his agent, Tony Godsick, told Standard Sport. “I don’t need to be the doctor but what I hope for him is to in a position to have an important rehab this summer, play some in the autumn and provides a pleasant shot at 2023, after which see what happens. I haven’t talked to him about that.”

And the 20-time Major champion is raring to go and hoping to up the intensity of his training, saying he was able to “give it his all” on the tennis court again. Talking to Caminada, he said: “I’m waiting for the doctors’ okay. I’m ready to offer it my all again. I feel like a racehorse scratching its stall and wanting to race. In the summertime I hope to have the opportunity to hit the bottom running. I’m looking forward to coming home within the evening after the tough day of coaching and being completely exhausted.”

Raducanu hits back at doubters after axing coach

Raducanu is making her French Open debut next week and continues to be with out a full-time coach after firing Torben Beltz last month to “transition to a latest training model”. She is currently travelling with Iain Bates, the top of girls’s tennis on the LTA, but has come under fire for opting to go with out a head coach in what continues to be her first full season on the tour.

However the 19-year-old isn’t nervous about outside opinions, revealing she was comfortable to go it alone. “It isn’t difficult,” she told Eurosport. “I’m having fun with my tennis for the time being, and in addition when you’re playing matches you may have to be your personal coach, so I’m very confident in what I’m doing right away.”

sportinbits@gmail.com
sportinbits@gmail.comhttps://sportinbits.com
Get the latest Sports Updates (Soccer, NBA, NFL, Hockey, Racing, etc.) and Breaking News From the United States, United Kingdom, and all around the world.

Related articles

spot_img

Recent articles

spot_img